Watch Nick and Uncle Mark show you the Leahy's tricks on how to oven roast your Turkey to perfection this Thanksgiving, or any time you feel like turkey! By covering the Turkey with fresh side pork and cheese cloth, you will keep moisture in the Turkey, and help it cook evenly. This secret ingredient makes a huge difference and we highly recommend you try it at home! Stop by Lake Geneva Country Meats and get everything you need.
- 1 LGCM Amish Turkey
- (We recommend 1.5# per adult)
- 1 lb. LGCM Fresh Side Pork, sliced per 10 lbs. of turkey
- 2 cups Water
- Cheese cloth, soaking in the water
Recipe YieldWe suggest 1.5# Turkey per adult to allow for leftovers!
- Remove giblets & neck from the inside of the turkey and set off to the side (for gravy – see link below for recipe). Rinse off the turkey & place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Season the outside of the turkey to taste with salt & pepper.
- Take the side pork and layer it on top of the outside of the Turkey. Cover as much of the bird as you can with the side pork. For a 0-10 lb. turkey, about 1 lb. is necessary, for a 11-20 lb. turkey about 2 lbs. are necessary, etc.
- Place the cheese cloth (or butcher netting) that you have soaked in water over the turkey and side pork to help keep the side pork in place as the turkey cooks.
- Cover with the turkey with tinfoil to help keep moisture in the bird.
- Place your turkey in a 350F oven & bake for 15 minutes per pound.
- When there are 15 minutes left in the calculated cooking time (ie after 1 hour and minutes of 2 hours of cooking), remove the side pork, cheesecloth and tinfoil and bake for the remaining 45 minutes.
- Once the turkey is fully cooked (make sure the breast meat is 165ºF) remove from the oven and let the turkey rest for about 30 minutes on a cutting board, then carve (using an electric knife works best) and enjoy!
Watch our gravy recipe by clicking here!