Since 1965, Lake Geneva Country Meats has been providing great meat and great service to our customers. We’re the meat experts, and are here to help fill your dinner plate for the night, or your freezer for the month. Please learn more about us by clicking on the links on this page.
Lake Geneva Country Meats was founded in 1965 by John and Rita Leahy, pictured to the left. John was a grocery store butcher who wanted to start his own business dedicated to providing an even better quality of meat, service and value to his customers. John cut the meat, and Rita did everything else from wrapping the meat, to answering the phone, to doing the bookwork! Little did they know that nearly 50 years later they would be members of the Wisconsin Meat Hall of Fame, and their business would still be growing.
While we have grown from the small barn we first occupied in 1965, we still stay true to John and Rita’s vision of providing the best quality of meat, the best service and a great value to all of our customers. We’ve been located on John’s family farmland on Highway 50 in Lake Geneva since 1967, and we have added retail, sausage making, and wholesale capabilities to our initial focus on custom processing. As part of John and Rita’s dedication to quality, we are fully USDA inspected, and are able to offer the highest assurances to our customers that we produce food that is safe for everyone in their family to eat.
Lake Geneva Country Meats is still proud to be owned and operated by the Leahy Family. While John has left us, Rita still helps guide the business, and we have a number of second and third generation family members managing and working here every day. From the Leahy family to you, thank you for letting us be your fresh meat market of choice. We hope we can continue to be your fresh market of choice for years into the future. For more information, click here to see a timeline of our history!
Lake Geneva Country Meats has won literally hundreds of awards in state and national competition in the last twenty years. Here’s a partial listing of some of the awards we have won:
1995 American Association of Meat Processors Meat Championships
- Best of Show – Summer Sausage
2015 Wisconsin Association of Meat Processors Cured Meat Championships
- R.W. Bray Award of Excellence Best of Show – Ultimate Bacon (Canadian Bacon Wrapped in Bacon) for Best Whole Muscle Product in the competition!
- Grand Champions – Skinless Wieners, Ultimate Bacon (Canadian Bacon Wrapped in Bacon)
- Reserve Grand Champions – Boneless Ham, Smoked Polish Sausage
- Champion – Dried Beef, Flavored Bacon (Chipotle Lime Bacon), Restructured Jerky (BBQ Beef Strips)
- Reserve Champions – Wieners
- Honorable Mention – Specialty Smoked Bratwurst (Smoked Cheddarwurst), Liver Sausage, Smoked Turkey, Small Diameter Smoked & Cooked Sausage (Five Pepper Smoked Sausage)
2014 Wisconsin Association of Meat Processors Cured Meat Championships
- WAMP Product Show Excellence Award – Awarded for most overall award winning products!
- Grand Champions – BBQ Beef Strips, Summer Sausage, Cotto Salami
- Reserve Grand Champions – Cooked Cheddar Pepper Brats, Ultimate Bacon
- Champion – Chorizo, Teriyaki Jerky
- Reserve Champions – Bacon & Cheddar Chicken Snack Sticks, Cheddar Bite Snack Sticks, Ring Bologna
2013 Wisconsin State Fair
- Grand Champion – Jalapeno Pepper & Cheddar Cheese Snack Stick
- Reserve Grand Champion – Ring Bologna
- Champion – Snack Sticks
- Reserve Champion – Smoked Cheddarwurst
2013 Wisconsin Association of Meat Processors Cured Meat Championships
- Grand Champions – BBQ Beef Strips, Liver Sausage, Bacon Supreme
- Reserve Grand Champions – Boneless Ham, Snack Sticks
- Champion – Ring Bologna, Smoked Polish Sausage
- Reserve Champions – Cheddar Bites, Cured & Smoked Bratwurst
- Honorable Mention – Cooked Cheddar & Pepper Bratwurst, Semi-Boneless Ham, Jalapeno & Cheddar Summer Sausage
2012 Wisconsin Association of Meat Processors Cured Meat Championships
- Grand Champions – BBQ Beef Strips, Chorizo Sausage, Deluxe Pizza Bratwurst
- Reserve Grand Champions – Jalapeno & Cheddar Summer Sausage, Boneless Ham
- Champion – Smoked Polish Sausage
- Reserve Champions – Cheddar Pepper Bratwurst, Bacon, Cured & Smoked Bratwurst
2011 Wisconsin State Fair Meat Championships
- Grand Champion – Jalapeno and Cheddar Summer Sausage
- Reserve Grand Champion – Ham
- Reserve Champion – Bacon, Barbecue Jerky